Hold Still by Nina LaCour Review

Tuesday, April 6, 2010 |
Dear caitlin, there are so many things that i want so badly to tell you but i just can't.

Devastating, hopeful, hopeless, playful . . . in words and illustrations, Ingrid left behind a painful farewell in her journal for Caitlin. Now Caitlin is left alone, by loss and by choice, struggling to find renewed hope in the wake of her best friend's suicide. With the help of family and newfound friends, Caitlin will encounter first love, broaden her horizons, and start to realize that true friendship didn't die with Ingrid. And the journal which once seemed only to chronicle Ingrid's descent into depression, becomes the tool by which Caitlin once again reaches out to all those who loved Ingrid—and Caitlin herself.- Barnes and Noble website


Hold Still breaks your heart and somehow manages to sew it back together again. It's hard to exactly describe my feelings as I began reading, because, for me at least, it was incredibly difficult to take in Caitlin's situation and her way of dealing with death. It took me a few chapters to get a firm grip on the story and the emotional weight that came with it. But once I was able to do that, the story took off.

I loved how LaCour wrote simply, yet poetically. She tells Caitlin's story with a painful grace that helps you to overlook the tragedy and focus on the healing. Although you may have to read this book in chunks- it's not one I would recommend reading in one night- there was always a fluidity to the novel. Even the drawings were beautiful; they added yet another meaningful layer to the story.

This is no doubt my favorite book that I've read this year. Please go pick it up; you truly won't regret it.

Rating: 9.5/10

7 comments ♥:

Beth S. said...

I read your review and went to put this book on my "to-read" list on Goodreads and when I got there, realized it already was. That's a sign that my "to-read" list is getting a bit out of control. LOL!

Audrey (holes In My brain) said...

been on my own wishlist ever since it was released! I wish my library would get it already...
nice review!

Sandy said...

There are drawings in the book too? I love when books do that :) I honestly never even cared about reading this book until now. Thanks for the review, Cate!

Sandy said...

I said book too many times. Argh @_@

Allison said...

I loved this book, too!

Nina said...

One of your favourites, wow, I should try this one. It sounds very good and I like that you say that it will break your heart, but also glue them back together! Love it.
Thanks for the great review.

MeganRebekah said...

Cate -- you won a free ARC over at my blog!!

I couldn't find an email address for you, so please contact me at meganrebekah@yahoo.com to pick your book!

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home