Rae by Chelsea Rae Swiggett Review

Monday, September 20, 2010 |
Rae is beyond socially awkward.
Since she was a little girl, Rae knew something was different about her. The sound of planes flying overhead could spark a panic attack. Being called on in class was enough to push her over the edge. She feared the unknown, life, death, people . . . even fear itself.

By the time she reached ninth grade, Rae was muddling through life in relative silence, convinced everyone was mocking her, judging her, picking her apart, bit by little bit. Rae knew she couldn’t keep going on this way. She knew something had to give.
This book is near and dear to the heart of many book bloggers, as it was penned by our very own Chelsea of The Page Flipper. So after winning Rae in a contest, I was completely ecstatic to dive in.

In person, I would consider myself very shy. I don't raise my hand in class, I'm no good at small talk, and I absolutely HATE presentations. There was one passage in Rae that follows her thoughts throughout the day leading up to a class presentation. The only thing that ran through my mind was "That's me! That's exactly how I feel!" And, honestly, I don't think I'm the only one who will find her story relatable- everyone has been socially awkward. After you make that personal connection with Rae, the story skyrockets. It's a quick read- about 150 pages- but it became riveting. I really hope Chelsea continues to write. I'd pick up her next book in a heartbeat.

Also, can I say how much I loved the Gilmore Girls references? Check plus!

Rating: 8/10

3 comments ♥:

brandileigh2003 said...

Thanks for the review. I am really wanting to get my hands on this one.

Brandi from Blkosiner’s Book Blog

Nina said...

Sounds indeed very good. Also the girl sounds like me when I was younger, but then without the panic attacks. I think I want to give this one a try. I really want to know what happens troughout the story. Great review!

Chelsea said...

Thank you!! :)

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home