Green Books Campaign: Syren by Angie Sage

Monday, November 9, 2009 |

This review is part of the Green Books campaign. Today 100 bloggers are reviewing 100 great books printed in an environmentally friendly way. Our goal is to encourage publishers to get greener and readers to take the environment into consideration when purchasing books. This campaign is organized by Eco-Libris, a a green company working to green up the book industry by promoting the adoption of green practices, balancing out books by planting trees, and supporting green books. A full list of participating blogs and links to their reviews is available on Eco-Libris website.

Becoming more eco-friendly has always been an important aspect of my life; I am glad to see that the environment is taken into consideration even in books! Syren is made with FSC-certified paper, and is published by Bloomsbury. I'm glad to see that large-scale publishing companies are getting envolved in the effort to help create a greener society!

In this fifth book in the Magykal series, Septimus ends up on a captivatingly beautiful island, one of seven set in a sparkling sea. He's stranded there with his badly injured dragon, Spit Fyre, along with Jenna and Beetle.
There are some strange things about the island, including a Magykal girl named Syrah, a cat-shaped lighthouse that has lost its Light, and an eerie presence that sings to Septimus—can he escape the persistent call?
Trouble is also brewing for Lucy and Wolf Boy, who have become entangled with some nefarious sailors at sea, and for Milo Banda, Jenna's father, who is harboring a mysterious treasure chest in his ship's hold.
-Goodreads

Although this is the fifth book in the Septimus Heap series (which I haven't read before), I decided to take it on for this event. Though I wish I had time to read the first four books, I found Syren to be enthralling. Filled with dragons, ghosts, a princess, and magyick, this book is the epitome of fantasy. Also, I really enjoyed seeing the small illustrations at the beginning of each chapter- it was a lovely Harry Potter flashback. Speaking of which, if you are a Harry Potter fan, I think that you will be very impressed with Angie Sage's work. It's beautifully crafted, and a chunky fantasy read.

What are your opinions about eco-friendly books? Are you a supporter? :D

<3 Cate

5 comments ♥:

Sandy said...

I didn't even know about this campaign! That's such a good idea :D I like how you said "a chunky fantasy read" xD.

Hmm, will look into this book. Thanks for the awesome review!

Melanie said...

That's awesome that it's eco-friendly! To be honest, I had never really thought about the importance for that in books. It's definitely something I'll keep in mind in the future.

Serena said...

I always enjoyed illustrated books when I was younger. Thanks for reviewing this green book.

Brimful Curiosities said...

I'm hoping to read and review this soon. Like you, I haven't read the rest of the series but it does sound entertaining.

Nina said...

This serie sounds very fun and magical. I love that it has pictures in it, just like Harry Potter. :)

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home