Catching Fire by Suzanne Collins Review

Tuesday, January 19, 2010 |
Against all odds, Katniss Everdeen has won the annual Hunger Games with fellow district tribute Peeta Mellark. But it was a victory won by defiance of the Capitol and their harsh rules. Katniss and Peeta should be happy. After all, they have just won for themselves and their families a life of safety and plenty. But there are rumors of rebellion among the subjects, and Katniss and Peeta, to their horror, are the faces of that rebellion. The Capitol is angry. The Capitol wants revenge. -Goodreads

Catching Fire begins slowly. Not to the point that the story suffers; there's still a steady plotline. But by the time you hit chapter thirteen, you're glad that you've been hit with a BAM! From there, the story goes quickly, so quickly that it's very difficult to put down.

As for this whole 'Team Peeta' or 'Team Gale' business, I have to say, I'm at a loss for words when it comes to who I like better. Though each are sweet, both have made their downfalls. I have a slight annoyance for Gale, who I feel like missed his chance with Katniss. And Peeta, darling Peeta, seems too good-hearted for her. Katniss is naturally cold, and ruthless to boot. And even though opposites attract, something always seems missing between the two of them. (Honesty perhaps? *ahem*)

I'll admit, despite how incredibly disgusting the idea of children being put in an arena to murder each other, the way Collins creates her little world is engrossing. And, just in case you were worried, you will (of course) be left with a cliffhanger worthy of sulking over until the next installment. Gotta love suspense...

Rating: 9/10

5 comments ♥:

Beth S. said...

Awesome review! I read the book a few months ago, but you put your thoughts and this story into words so well.

Bookalicious Ramblings said...

Great review! I've been intrigued by this book for ages and while the premise doesn't really appeal to me at all, I still kind of want to read the books since everyone says they're amazing! Hmm, what to do! ;)

Nonie said...

I like your review! Like Beth said, you put your thoughts into words really nicely. Catching Fire is awesome, and I can't wait for the third!

prophecygirl said...

How amazing was this book?! I can't wait for the next one!

Emidy @ Une Parole said...

I still haven't read Hunger Games! Everyone seems to loves the series, though, so maybe I should start.

Emidy
www.uneparole.blogspot.com

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home