Their Eyes Were Watching God by Zora Neale Hurston Review

Tuesday, February 23, 2010 |
Fair and long-legged, independent and articulate, Janie Crawford sets out to be her own person — no mean feat for a black woman in the '30s. Janie's quest for identity takes her through three marriages and into a journey back to her roots. -Goodreads

For the past few weeks, I've been reading Their Eyes Were Watching God for my English class. I'd already read an excerpt from another one of Hurston's pieces, and loved it. She has this amazing ability to create the most beautiful imagery; as a reader, it makes the book an experience in itself.

Although it took a few chapters for the book to set up for the real story, it was definitely worth it. I was almost always interested in what would happen to Janie and her relationships. Janie felt real to me. Like someone I could have a conversation with; aren't those the best kind of characters?

I only had one real issue with Their Eyes, which was the dialect. I found the dialouge to be extrememly difficult to understand, especially in the beginning. For instance, words like 'I' would be written as 'Ah.' Although eventually this wasn't a problem for me, the beginning of the book was a little tough for me to understand.

Overall, I truly enjoyed this classic. I haven't seen the movie, but I've heard it's nothing compared to the book. I'm tempted to watch the film, but I'm worried it will ruin the story for me. Have any of you read this one or watched the movie? Thoughts?

Rating: 9/10

<3 Cate

5 comments ♥:

Anonymous said...

I adored this book, but have a really hard time reading dialect, so I listened to Ruby Dee's narration. It was stunning.

Amelia said...

oh cool review! I have to read this for English in a couple of weeks and so I'm really glad to hear what you thought!

Nina said...

Great review, I have this on my tbr list and cant wait to read it. It sounds very good.

Anonymous said...

I have just finished watching the movie, IT IS AMAZING, loved it so much that i wish it never ended, Halley Berry plays Janie.
Beautiful story, from beggining to end!

Anonymous said...

I loved the movie. I have an english paper where I have to compare two differant novels I have chosen "The Color Purple" & "Their Eyes Were Watching God, just checked the book out of the Library.

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home