A Time for Dancing by Davida Wills Hurwin Review

Tuesday, June 23, 2009 |

Samantha and Juliana. Sam and Jules--they've been best friends forever. Now, in the summer before their senior year, they're ready for anything! College? Professional dance careers? They'll share the triumphs and face the fears together. But neither of them is prepared for what happens when Jules is diagnosed with an incurable cancer. (from Goodreads)

When I closed the back jacket of A Time for Dancing, I didn't have any sense of what I felt about it. Backtracking has helped....

I was wandering the bookstore a few Saturdays ago, and I came across a book with a positively gorgeous cover (don't you think?) After reading the synopsis, I was sure that I wanted to read it, but decided on checking it out from the library. When I began to read, I was surprised. I think I was expecting something much...darker, maybe more dramatic? It seemed like each time the author started to let you in on some hardcore emotion, she pulled you out and began another point of view.

In the end, I decided that A Time for Dancing had a good storyline- doesn't everyone wonder what their reaction would be if a loved one became ill? However, something seemed to be missing, something that I can't quite put my finger on. It was a 'meh' book. Not the best I've ever read, but certainly not the worst. If you're looking for a story as poignant as Jodi Picoult's My Sister's Keeper, look elsewhere. But, if you're in the mood for a quick read that requires a Kleenex, this may be what you're looking for.

Rating: 7/10

0 comments ♥:

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home