Flashback Friday (2)

Friday, September 11, 2009 |

Hi everyone- Happy Friday! I decided to create this little weekly post called Flashback Friday, which essentially features a book that I used to love when I was in elementary school. I just want to share a few little anecdotes about my reading habits as a kid. You're all welcome to participate as well- I'd love to see what books you all enjoyed when you were younger!

Okay, so this book is called My Side of the Mountain, by Jean Craighead George. This was one of my fourth-grade favorites, about a child who runs away from home and learns to survive by himself on a mountain near to his home. Eventually he trains a falcon, hence the bird in the picture.

I'm not really sure why, but I'm a sucker for survival stories. I loved reading about how he carved his home from a tree, how he fished, and how he spent his days on the mountain, completely content with the choice he made for himself. Although I'd never contemplated running away, my nine-year-old self was imerrsed in the story and could relate to the main character.

If you do choose to put up your own Flashback Friday, please leave a link in the comments! Have a wonderful weekend!

<3 Cate

P.S. Sorry I haven't posted a review this week- homework has taken up most of my reading time. This weekend I'll have one up, I promise!

4 comments ♥:

Priya said...

I read this so many times in third and fourth grade :D

Rhiannon Hart said...

If you're a sucker for survival stories, have you read The Clan of the Cave Bear, but more specifically, book two The Valley of Horses? They're a bit trashy but I love them! They're by Jean A. Auel.

Nina said...

Never read this book before, it sounds good.

Cate said...

Rhiannon- Hmmm...I don't think I've ever heard of that series before, but I'll check and see if they have them at the library! :)

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home