Paranormalcy by Kiersten White Review

Monday, August 23, 2010 |
Sixteen-year-old Evie's job is bagging and tagging paranormals. Possessing the strange ability to see through their glamours, she works for the International Paranormal Containment Agency. But when someone--or something--starts taking out the vamps, werewolves, and other odd beasties she's worked hard to help become productive members of society, she's got to figure it out before they all disappear and the world becomes utterly normal. Normal is so overrated. -Goodreads
It wasn't until I finished Paranormalcy that I realized I hadn't read a good, laugh-out-loud funny book in a long time. Kiersten White's humor shines in her book, making it impossible to not instantly adore Evie and her infatuation with all things sparkly and pink. This includes her bejeweled taser (affectionately nicknamed "Tasey,") which is always nearby. It's Evie's girly nature- even her love for Easton Heights, a teen soap- that truly made this book for me. Evie longed for normal, she had guilty pleasures- she was a teenager. Being a teen myself, I so greatly appreciated a connection with the main character.

There's also the whole kick-ass aspect of this book. Evie means serious business when she bags/tags paranormals. She's definitely not afraid to use Tasey, that's certain. However, it should be noted that Para is not just a book of fight scenes; it's strongly backed by White's voice, which was the absolute BEST part. It's light and funny in all the right places, and completely in tune with a teenager. I was incredibly impressed by her debut, and if there's not a sequel I think I'll just die. *begs and pleads*

And Lend. Gorgeous, sweet, wonderful Lend. Sa-wooooon. Maybe Evie will share?

Rating: 9/10
<3 Cate

6 comments ♥:

Unknown said...

You want to know something really funny? I named my Nook, Lend - such an amazing character, I cant wait for more, I loved this one! Wonderful review!

Melissa (i swim for oceans) said...

This sounds great! Awesome review :)

Bere said...

Hehe, such a wonderful review, Cate! Makes me all the more excited to read this book. I love books that makes us laugh-out-loud. I will definitely be checking this one out. Thank you for your review, Cate. =)

Carolina M. Valdez Schneider said...

Man, I loved this book. Great review!

Sandy said...

Knowing Evie, I don't think she'll share Lend...she'll probaby sic Tasey on you! XD

kay - Infinite Shelf said...

Aw, I'm so glad to know the awesomeness of this book isn't limited to its gorgeous cover. I'll have to get it now I think!

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home