Books and Music

Tuesday, October 13, 2009 |
This is actually a post from a little over a month ago, but I decided to run it again because I didn't get any responses. (Must have been a bad day for comments) Anyway, I really would like to hear what you think about the link between books and music. Here's the previous post:

After reading a post on books about music, I began pondering the connection between the two. Not in the way of subject matter, but in how we listen to it while we read. Usually I have my iPod plugged in while I'm reading, just for some background noise. And, sometimes, when I reread a particular book, I'm reminded of the soundtrack that I was listening to when I first read it. So, naturally, I play it again the second time around. It's a circle.

{Here's where my question comes in}

Has this happened to you? If so, what books and what music? Here are a few examples of mine....



The Cure for the Pain- John Foreman (just that one song) and The Book Thief by Markus Zusak



What a Heart is Beating for- Chris Rice and The Pendragon Series by D.J. MacHale




Girls and Boys- Ingrid Michaelson and The Truth About Forever by Sarah Dessen


What do you think?


6 comments ♥:

Jenny said...

I actually can't listen to music while I read and I don't really connect the two. Some people do though, I know... the author, Meg Gardiner, wrote about it not too long ago on her blog. She thinks about different songs for each scene that she writes.

Logan said...

I usually have problems reading a book when listening to music with words. It's hard for me to focus on the words in the book when I hear the words in the music. However, music with just instrumentals, thoughtfully selected to go with the tone of the text I'm reading, really brings out another dimension of the story. I don't normally do this, but this post is so closely related I have to suggest to those interested in the concept to get a copy of my book when it comes out. All of the music on my Apollyon blog is music from the book's soundtrack.

Thanks for reposting this Cate! I enjoy reading your blog and don't know how I missed it the first time...

Nina said...

I never listen to music when I'm reading. I really get distracted, I always want to sing out loud with the song!!! But somethimes I hear a song and I think of a book that fits!
Like Kate Perry I'm still breathing and Twilight! Perfect!

Shannon Messenger said...

I have to agree with the other comments...I can't seem to listen to music when I read. In fact, I'm kind of famous for tuning out the world (my husband has complained many times of talking to me and me completely ignoring him.)

Now when I write--that's another story. I can't write without music. And in that case I do find connections between my scenes and the music I play.

Nonie said...

Like Nina said, I hear a song, and think of a book that fits, but I don't really listen to music while reading. I can't concentrate on reading then.

Sandy said...

Well... I usually don't listen to music while I'm reading a book (I get too distracted!) but for some reason I'm totally fine with reading a textbook while having music on my headphones or just in the background. It all sort of blends in, which is weird.

And this is SORT OF off-subject but have you ever read The Song Reader? It's about a girl who's older sister can give you advice on what to do (and she does this by just asking you what music you're listening to!-it's really neat and I think you might like it) :)

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home