Wish List Wednesday

Wednesday, February 24, 2010 |
In 1932 Berlin, thirteen-year-old Gaby Schramm witnesses the beginning of Hitler's rise to power, as soldiers become ubiquitous, her beloved literature teacher starts wearing a jewelled swastika pin, and the family's dear friend, Albert Einstein, leaves the country while Gaby's parents secretly bury his books and papers in their small yard.

Right now I'm taking a class at school that's centered around the Holocaust and other genocides. Ashes struck my eye not only because it relates to my coursework, but also because I'm interested in reading about another point of view in regards to the tragedies of the Holocaust. Ashes came out this month, and I'm looking forward to this one.

<3 Cate

5 comments ♥:

Amelia said...

That's so neat/weird! I'm a history major and one of my classes is a Third Reich class - so we're learning a lot about like just ordinary life in Germany in the 30s. I'll definitely have to look into this one! Great post!

Beth S. said...

Sounds fascinating! Putting it on my "to-read" list right now. It's so difficult to do something original in this genre since it's such an oversaturated genre, but this sounds like it has the potential to really stand out.

ninefly said...

holocaust from a non-jew's point of view does sound rather interesting, especially since the protagonist is a kid
I'm actually also quite interested to the connection with Albert Einstein too lol

Kirthi said...

a non-jew P.O.V.? Now that's a new one! This sounds like a great read!

Jennifer @ Mrs. Q: Book Addict said...

This sounds really interesting. I will need to check this one out.

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home