Alice in Wonderland Movie Review

Monday, March 15, 2010 |

I'll admit, yesterday when I went to see Alice, I had high expectations. After all the hubbub and the big names and the fantastic reviews, I was expecting to be blown away. Sometimes Tim Burton movies creep me out a little, and I was worried that this new version of the movie would be disappointing. Or freakishly creepy.

However, this film went way beyond my expectations. The special effects alone were spectacular. I was blown away by the Wonderland; it was gorgeous. It was crazy and wild and beautiful and memorable. The creatures were interesting and well-developed. The acting was also phenomenal, especially Helena Bonham Carter. I'm not sure if I thought she stole the show as they said, but she was pretty amazing. As was Johnny Depp and Anne Hathaway. Also, why did no one mention that Alan Rickman was in this?? Just another plus in my book!


I wasn't quite sure about the plot line...I originally thought it would just be a recreation of the book, but I found out that Alice was much older, I wasn't sure how that was going to play out. I think everything wrapped up nicely, and, yeah, maybe it was a little cheesy towards the end, but I thought it was sweet. And perhaps it hinted at another installment???

Also, did anyone else notice there was quite a bit of eye-stabbing? That definitely grossed me out. And it wasn't just once- it was multiple times. That bit was the only part I wasn't fond of.

If I were you, I'd head on over to the movie theater, grab a coke icee, a pack of twizzlers, and a ticket to Alice in Wonderland. Right. Now. Do it. You'll regret it if you don't.

Rating: 10/10

7 comments ♥:

Simon said...

Yeah, sequel-type things...that should really be in the ads.

And only Twizzlers? Is there nothing else you'd like to snack on? Some leafy greens? I'm disappointed.

The visuals, I think, were meticulously detailed, but why can't they just try actual sets?

Good review.

Kirthi said...

As long as there's great acting, then I'm happy! I'm so excited that it's Johnny Depp!!!! :D

Music and Movie Treasures By Brenda said...

Your review went pretty much along with my thoughts. I thought it was a visually stunning movie. I loved the Red Queen; I enjoyed the Mad Hatter. I did NOT like the eye stabbing although it could have been presented in a worse fashion, I suppose. (That will rank as the 'cleanest' eye stabbing ever.) Great job on your review.

Brenda

ExtremeReader said...

Can't wait to see this one! There is an award waiting for you at my site!

http://extremereaderbookreviews.blogspot.com

Nonie said...

Yay for Helena BC, and Johnny Depp! I'm looking forward to watching this (hopefully very soon!). Great review!

Melanie said...

I watched this movie this past weekend, and I loved it as well! Especially Anne Hathaway. I also really liked the fact that we got to know a little bit more of what was happening in Alice's "real" world!

Susan in NC said...

This is a great movie and worth seeing again to take in all the details. I think Alice would like your blog, Cate. :)

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home