Enna Burning by Shannon Hale Review

Sunday, September 13, 2009 |
Enna's life was not meant to be simple. When her brother, Leifer, brings home a mysterious piece of vellum that teaches him how to set fires — without a spark, without flint — Enna cannot decide if this power is one she wants for herself, or something that should be extinguished forever. And when Bayern, their country, goes to war, the choice becomes nearly unbearable. Enna never imagined that the warm, life-giving energy of a fire could destroy everything she loves, but she must now save herself and Bayern before fire consumes her entirely. ~Author's website

I may as well have dedicated these next few weeks to Shannon Hale. Her latest book in the Bayern series, Forest Born, comes out this week, and I'm quickly trying to reread the others before it releases. Enna Burning is the second installment, the first being The Goose Girl, and it has turned into one extended- and gorgeous- fairy tale.

Enna Burning is so incredibly...passionate. With that comes a darker side, but one that I think this tale needed. Every part of this book was fluid and beautiful, each chapter bleeding into the next. Shannon Hale writes some of the most lovely descriptions I have ever read; they build up the scenery without making you feel as though you're reading a paragraph about what the city looks like. The experience is almost like seeing, no, living, the story.

Maybe I'm verging on fangirlish post here, but I don't always consider that a bad thing. Do you?

Rating: 10/10

4 comments ♥:

Priya said...

Shannon Hale rocks :)

Anonymous said...

No, I don't think it's a bad thing, and from what I've heard (sadly, it's not from what I've read as I haven't) I agree with Priya- she rocks.

cherdon said...

I dont think its a bad thing at all. I am very intrigued by this book. The cover is almost whimsical. Your review on this book gives so much insight, its almost like you almost wish you were Enna.

Linna said...

I agree so much with your review (wow, this is really late, but I just had to comment xD). Shannon Hale's books are absolutely breathtaking, her descriptions almost magical. I admire her style so much!

I loved the line "each chapter bleeding into the next,"- it describes the pace perfectly. I feel like reading Enna Burning all over again!

Post a Comment

Newer Posts Older Posts Home